June 5th, 2010
Mesa Aquatics Club Masters Summer Invite
Kino Jr. High Pool... isn't it just beautiful?!
My first Swim Meet EVER!!!
I am feeling sick with nerves, the butterflies in my tummy are fighting their way out!
I look around to my competition, I am having second thoughts. What did I do?? Why did I sign up for this? I don't know what the heck i am doing? This is suppose to be fun ;)
Those are my initial thoughts but as I had time to wait and bite my nails before I swam. I decided it doesn't matter where I place, what my time is, but it is the experience & the challenge I am here for. Each race outcome will be my Personal Best time since it is my first and it gives me something to aim toward in my future of swimming. New goals to set and accomplish and beat. As soon as my Lenny arrived to cheer me on and give me a hug, I felt a million times better.
I just want to get in the water and RACE! Let's do it. :)
I chose to swim in 3 events today. 400 meter freestyle, 50 meter breast stroke & 50 meter Freestyle!
I hoped and prayed that my googles would stay on my face as I attempted to dive off the tall block, that I wouldn't false start, DQ or drown for that matter. Thankfully, my prayers came through. Lenny was there to capture all 3 of my races. Check out the video below :)
Not bad for a first timer. I was pleased! It felt great to finally get in the water and swim.
Let me break down my thoughts on each race.
400 Freestyle... Lenny just filmed a couple laps of this race. it was 8 laps of 50 meters :) You can hear my coach rooting for me every breath I took, which made me smile. I tried not to choke on the water. :)
Well as you can see, it was just 3 competing in this race. Me, a lady several years older than I, but in great shape and a 70+ year old man with one leg. This race will be interesting. I was happy to come in first at 7 minutes. It was record time for me in this distance. My first triathlon was 400 meters and i did it in 10 minutes. So practice does pay off. I am proud of the two other swimmers I raced against. I think that 70 yr old man was amazing. It sounds funny saying i beat a one legged guy. oooh, tough competition Loree :) Now, that I know what my "seed time" is, it might be a closer race next time :)
oh and I was 1st in my age group...don't tell anyone I was the ONLY one in my age group swimming this event ;) hee hee!Well as you can see, it was just 3 competing in this race. Me, a lady several years older than I, but in great shape and a 70+ year old man with one leg. This race will be interesting. I was happy to come in first at 7 minutes. It was record time for me in this distance. My first triathlon was 400 meters and i did it in 10 minutes. So practice does pay off. I am proud of the two other swimmers I raced against. I think that 70 yr old man was amazing. It sounds funny saying i beat a one legged guy. oooh, tough competition Loree :) Now, that I know what my "seed time" is, it might be a closer race next time :)
50 Breast Stroke ... I was very nervous about this race. Breast stroke is a new stroke for me and I don't even know if I am actually swimming it correctly. I decided to be brave and try something new. I was happy to be swimming next to my swim friend Liz. I think her breast stroke is beautiful. I knew she was gonna beat me! You go Liz! It was a fun race and I can't wait to improve on this stroke. I came in 3rd in this heat and 3rd in my age group out of 3 ;) at 54.28 seconds
50 Freestyle ... This was a FUN and close race! I liked the fierce competition. I like having video of my races so i can see actually how i swim. And I can see how I can improve. I was thrilled to come in 1st place in this heat. Very exciting indeed! Overall I came in 2nd in my age group out of 3 swimmers.
My Early Morning Swim Friend Tari & I! Thanks for signing up to swim this meet friend. It was great to visit with you and help each other stay calm and collected! You Rock Lady~!
One thing I think is so neat about the Masters Swim Program is really is for all types of swimmers. The newbies...me and the seasoned Pros. This meet was very inspirational as well. We had swimmers ranging in age from the early 20's to the cutest 80 year old couple...still swimming. I hope to still be swimming at that age :) and swimmers of every shape and size... thank heavens :) I just love being a part of this swim club!
I had to grab some of my swim friends for a couple quick pics!
Top Left Pic: My AMAZING Coach Laura! I really do love this lady! She is so inspiring and makes me want to work harder and swim stronger. thanks for the encouragement! :)
Top Right: My swim friend Penny! I love her tan :) I WANT IT ;) Hope you join me in the water next time :)
Bottom Right: Swim Friends Beth and Judy! These awesome ladies helping with the meet! I expect to be swimming with you next meet as well!
Bottom Left: My best friend of them all... My Lenny! I love you and thanks for all your love and support! I couldn't do it without you!
I would have to say it was a great 1st swim meet and I am happy that I tackled yet another SCARY goal of mine! I felt good and it ended up being FUN after all! Won't you join me at the pool???



2 comments:
Loree I'm so proud of you! Way to go! You looked awesome. I love that you have so much support. You Rock Sista!
Way to Go!! You are an amazing Lady!
Post a Comment