Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jumping for Joy!!!

Yes folks, that is right. The time has finally come! I am literally JUMPING FOR JOY!
I survived my 6 weeks recovery from my Hysterectomy/rebuild surgery. It has been a long road but I made it and I feel like a million bucks!!!
I was counting down the days to jump on the trampoline. I have not been able to jump without serious consequences for years and years!...(you mom's know exactly what I mean.) :)
I am now fixed. Repaired. Unbroken. Happy. Thrilled...The Sky is the Limit for me!!!

I felt like a kid again!! My kids are thrilled to have their mom jump with them too. Jumping is FUN & great exercise too. Speaking of jumping, I also tried jump rope...sweet!!! I can do that too. YIPPEEEE!!!!! I can't believe it! I am so thankful.



During my 6 weeks of healing I walked everyday. At first I hobbled around my house, then to the mailbox and before I knew it 1 mile, 2 miles and topped off at 4 miles at a time and by week 4-5 too. :) My Dr. gave me the A-OK to swim laps at the gym at 2 week post opp and I did, like 4 times a week. It is easy on a healing body and you burn lots of calories at the same time. I was loving swimming so much I couldn't get enough of it. I kept thinking I want to learn more. I only know one stroke...freestyle and I'm not sure I am even doing it correctly.



So how did I learn to swim might you ask????

My sweet hubby wanted to learn how to be a better swimmer and so he read this book. Total Immersion... and guess what...he taught himself to swim. I thought he was pretty good too. That got me thinking.... so 2.5 years ago I was contemplating about competing in my first sprint triathlon...the only problem was, I don't know how to swim. I can get around the pool but real swimming, I had no idea. Leonard was sweet as can be and taught me all the tips he read about in this book and he says " I was a natural swimmer"....why thanks mister ;)
I checked out this book and looked up some swimming tutorials online and I was hooked. I was excited to learn how to swim LONG and STRONG!!! I've done 2 sprint triathlons and the swimming part makes me happy. For the past 2.5 years I have enjoyed doing my laps at the pool and especially LOVE beating the swimmers in the lane next to me...including Leonard ;) hee hee hee!
During this last month of really focusing on swimming, I have decided I am ready for more. I had heard of the Masters Swim Team for adults before and thought about joining and getting real help from a swim coach. But truthfully, I was SCARED!!!! "I don't really know how to swim, I just THINK I do", I would think. I was scared they would say I stink and I should just quit now, cuz you'll never get it. Well the idea of joining the masters has been eating at me since this past summer and last week I finally mustered up enough courage to go for it and try it out.

So last Monday morning March 15th, at 5 AM, I wake to my alarm clock and make the 23 minute drive to this beautiful pool...Kino Jr. High. I take a deep breath as I enter the gates to the pool. I see smiling, friendly faces all saying hello! phew...that part went better than expected. I met my coach Laura...She is AWESOME!! So spunky, bubbly, super welcoming and nice.
We chat for a minute and it's swim time. Luckily for us the pool is heated, but it is still COLD!!! Once you are swimming, no big whoop :) She said I was a natural too. That makes a girl feel good ;)
I woke up at 5 am everyday last week and drove to the pool and swam with the team. It was exciting, challenging & I am getting an excellent workout too. I felt like I was conquering another one of my fears. I feel ALIVE!!!! LOVE IT!
The first week was AWESOME! I have already learned so much and I look forward to learning every stroke and master techniques & speed. :)



I am a Member of the Mesa Masters Swim Club!!!! Team Narwhal!!!!
Bring it BaBY!
I can't wait until my first swim meet...whenever that will be?? :)


All this excitement has got me thinking about my next big adventure. I am a goal minded lady and having a goal, keeps me motivated. What better way to put this "new me" to work then to test it and challenge it....so I registered for my next sprint Triathlon...


I am really excited about this tri. It is an ALL WOMEN Triathlon in Tempe on Saturday May 8th.
1/2 Mile swim in Tempe Town Lake
13.5 Mile Bike
3.1 Mile Run



Let the training begin. So far, I have been on 2 bike rides and they were glorious!!!! I missed my bike!!! I have only run once... but I will get back on my toes asap. i just got cleared for running. It is what I am most worried about, but I know I can do it ;)
So anyone want to join me??? 6 1/2 weeks til go time!!!



Life is GOOD!!!!!

10 comments:

Leonard said...

GO LOREE! That is a great thing about you...when you put your mind to something...look out...it is going to happen :) Definitely weird seeing you actually jump on the trampoline...but I knew you would push it and be right back into biking/swimming/running in no time! Good luck at the "She Rox Tri" - Luv ya!
Lenny

Sarah S. said...

Wow! I miss talking to you for awhile and look what you go and do?! That is great. Now you can claim the credit for you girls being such awesome swimmers. It's genetic from you. :)

melissa said...

Wow! Awesome, lady! You are simply amazing with all your energy and your goals and accomplishments.

Doug and Lisa said...

Loree, You're awesome! AND you just inspired me to set the goal to do my first tri.
First step; read the book I've heard so much about.

Thanks for the inspriation!
Doug

Julie said...

Loree, you are truly inspiring!!! I love ya bunches and am so happy for you! Keep us updated.

Stacy said...

I'm in for the tri!! I need to find a bike and a pool first, I just started running again. Congrats on the recovery, we need to talk:)

Johnny and Anny said...

I loved this post and pictures of you on the trampoline!!! I have to say, your energy is infectious, I have just been cleared to exercise myself after the baby, and I want to get on this bandwagon. I'll be looking for an event for May or June!

Good luck with your triathalon, I wish I could train with you! love you lots and I'm so glad you're recovered after your surgery!

Christie & Dan said...

You go girl! Glad to see you're feeling better and jumpin' around! :)

Rachel M said...

As always I am amazed by you Loree! Your energy, your attitude, your DETERMINTAION! I am so glad you are healed and well again. You are an inspiration my friend:)!!

Loree said...

awwww, thanks so much for your nice words! i love you all ;)