Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Loree Swims in U.S. Masters AZ State Meet & Nationals

This seems like OLD News... but way back in March I registered to swim in the Masters State Swim meet... The actual meet name is 2011 Southwest Zone & Arizona Masters Swimming SCY Championships.... phew that is a mouthful hu.... this swim meet would be my second swim meet EVER... I was nervous as can be, just ask my coaches... Not only did I sign up to swim at the state meet, I got crazy... I mean BRAVE enough and signed up to swim at the MASTERS SPRING NATIONALS SWIM MEET too.

The state meet was the first weekend of April and the National Meet was the end of April. I was determined to be a practice 5 days a week at the early AM practice and I pretty much made it everyday. I think I only missed a couple mornings to rest... I really wanted to beat my last times and set a new PR...( personal Record )for myself. 

The weekend of the State Meet finally arrived and I had major butterflies. I signed up to swim the 1000 yr Freestyle on April 1st & then the 100 yrd breaststroke... not the 200 breaststroke that Leonard thought i did and told everyone i swam... it felt like a 200 to me, but it was only a 100! I love you Lenny :) and Last but not least, I also swam a 50 yrd freestyle... both of those 2 swims on April 2nd, 2011.



Leonard complied a little video of 2 or my 3 races... the 1000 freestyle and the 100 breaststroke. My parents came to cheer me on! It was so fun to have my own little Fan Club :) I kinda felt like a little kid making my parents proud... I especially loved watching these video's and listening to my little fan club's commentary... They crack me up... " Just like the olympics" wow! thanks dad :) It is fun to pretend I know how to swim and compete... keep in mind I am a novice, a beginner with a passion to swim :) and I want to beat the swimmers in my heat too :)


 I got a new team shirt... my other one was fading and I am proud of this team of swimmers!
The Coaches are amazing people... Paul & Laura Smith! Over the past year of swimming with the Mesa Masters Swim team, I have learned so much and continue to grow and they are there rooting you along and giving me opportunites to kick faster, pull harder, hold my breath longer and practice, practice, practice! Thanks Coach Paul & Coach Laura.. I Heart you both!



With the State Meet under my belt and setting a new PR for myself in all my races... I was ready to test my limits again and try to go a little faster this round of races...The Masters Nationals Swim Meet was being held at Kino Jr. High... my home turf :) As we prepared for this meet I was starting to second guess myself BIG TIME... There were going to be about 1800 swimmers competing in this meet... yes you read that correctly 1800 swimmers from all over the united states and beyond... it is a pretty big deal. Professional swimmers, Olympic swimmers, and some pretty competitive folks were gonna be there. I would consider myself to be pretty darn competitive, but at this level I felt like I did not belong there at all.... my coaches told me not to think of it that way, but to relax and have FUN!!! It was hard for me to get over my nerves and have FUN!!!! I considered it a TYPE 2 kind of fun... the kind of fun of when it is said and done and you are home and look back and say, WOW that was Fun... kind of experience. Now that it has been about a month since that meet, It was FUN! :)

As you know, life gives you many opportunities were you get to learn lessons some you enjoy, others not so much.... well being a "newbie" to swim meets. I learned a big lesson the hard way about how duel heats work at this HUGE National meet. I was registered to swim the 100 Breaststroke and the 50 freestlye. I got to the meet early. All that my coaches warned us about the crowded warm up pool and the insane number of swimmers all crammed into a little bit of space was absolutely correct. I got there early, but my nerves were frazzled! I was trying to figure out how the heats worked. they were doing 2 heats at a time. Half the pool were the Even Heats and the other half was the Odd Heats. I eventually found out where i needed to be and sat there baking in the sun for 30-45 minutes not wanting to miss my turn. I was under the tent anxiously waiting my turn and watching the big clock count down and seeing each heat get closer to mine. I saw the clock say they were on heat 22. i was heat 24 so coming up. I was waiting to see #23 on my clock and then naturally #24... well, since i was racing in the even pool... #23 would not be lighting up on my clock. It took me too long to realize that! grrrr! I was #24 and thought "hey that is me... i went to look at the psych sheet and found me... yep there I am and then the DREADED..... BEEEEP ... and the ladies dove into the pool... all of them without me! NOOOOOOO!!! 1 second too late. I missed my chance. They mean business at the National Meet. If you miss your turn, YOU MISS YOUR TURN! I was in shock! All the hard work, the hours of wait for my 1minute 40 second swim was gone! my chance to PR at the National Swim Meet wasted! I was absolutely crushed! Leonard was there at the other end of the pool waiting to film my race and he could tell something went wrong. I was dazed and confused. I could not believe i missed it. I was getting cooked in the SUN forever waiting and just like that it was gone. By the time Leonard found me through the thick crowd of wet slippery swimmers I couldn't help but bawl my eyes out for a few minutes. i was so sad! I felt like the biggest idiot in the entire world! Who misses there race when you are standing right next to the block! I wanted to crawl into a hole and die... i know very dramatic hu? i was a mess for a bit. I just wanted to quit, throw in the towel and go home! I DO NOT BELONG HERE!!!  It seems silly, but I felt like my world was crashing just a bit... don't judge :) It was really hard for me and yes it is just a race and my race would be just for fun as all the ladies i would be racing all had seed times that were 20-30 seconds faster than me. I would have come in dead last. But i still wanted to do it and say I SWAM in Nationals! But dang it all... not for that race! Leonard was so great to me, me hugged me and comforted me and let me cry it out for a minute and then he helped me put on my game face for my last race... my last chance to swim at this meet... my 50 free was coming up! I was really not feeling like I wanted to get back into the pool but I don't quit... I headed back out to the crowded warm up pool and attempted to swim out my frustration. I then sat by my Lenny for a bit til it was closer to my turn. Before the 50, i met up with my Coach Laura, who asked me how my first race went... i told her i missed it and luckily i kept it emotionally together and didn't break down bawling again... phew! She tried to reassure me it happens all the time that people miss there races and don't sweat it! Just Have FUN!!! i tried to harness her happy carefree attitude and I watched the clock like an eagle. I WOULD NOT miss this race.





Here is my 50 freestyle race at the Master's Spring National Swim Meet.. Friday April 29, 2011!

I made it, I did it, I finished, I survived my 3rd swim meet ever and even though I came in last place in my heat, I set a new Personal Record for myself by just a weeee .5 seconds... I'll take it :) 32.4 seconds is my finished time. Mission Accomplished!

Boy oh boy, did I ever learn a lot this day! I now know how Dual Heats work the hard way. I also  learned I can do hard things. Praying for peace and comfort helps A LOT! Something I definitely rely on daily :) Sometimes you will feel like quitting... but just to keep on swimming and keep on smiling! Life is good! I especially LOVE my race shirt and wear it with pride, but the good pride not bad pride! :)


 I even got this SWEET ARIZONA NATIONAL TEAM SHIRT
 Also worn with pride :)
 The Back is my favorite! The AZ State flag comprised of all names of us on the AZ team!
 Can you find me??? I'l give you a hint! It is great having a last name that starts with Z... Easy to find :)

There i am... it is offical! I am proud to be an AZ Masters swimmer and I look forward to more swim meets in my future. Hopefully with less drama, more confidence and a LOT MORE SPEED :)

Since these swim meets, I started swimming with a few team members at Skyline High School, which just opened up and is a minute from my house. The Coach Tiffany is great!  It is a beautiful pool! I do miss my early morning journey to Kino and swim with all my swim buddies.  I have not been swimming nearly as often as I should to keep up my skills & pace. I kinda got a wee bit swimmed out... I have been taking a little break, but after writing this post, I am feeling re-motivated to get back to the pool and swim my little legs off! You should come join me! I need a friend or two! :)

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Yeah for you!! I'm so proud of you and what you are accomplishing for yourself. WAy to GO!!

Jessica said...

Way to go!! You are awesome! I want to see your videos though and for some reason I can only see a green screen and hear the sounds. DANG!!!

Crissie said...

Loved reading your story. I wanted to cry and then celebrate right along with you! You should be proud!!

Rachel said...

you go girl. I love it:)

Grammy Staffy said...

You are amazing!!! Biking.... swimming. Wow!!! I think that you need to come over and let your Aunt Lura see you swim in our pool.

Come on..... we would love to have you ... and So. Cal is a fun place for the kids to visit.

Congrats on your dedication and accomplishments.
Hugs, Aunt Lura