Many of you know that 13 weeks ago, on Feb. 4, 2010, my life changed as I know it. Being a mother is truly my greatest joy. After having my 3 children my body was left broken and surgery was needed to repair me. The result of this surgery made it no longer possible for me to bear any more of my own children. At 32 years old, I was in shock that I would need a hysterectomy to heal me but it was needed. As you know the surgery went perfectly. My healing went better than expected. As I was grasping the fact of the new changed me, I needed a goal to aim for. Something BIG to set my sights on and not let myself wallow in self pity and sadness over my loss.
After surgery my 1st GOAL was to obey all the Dr's orders, stay positive and get moving as soon as possible. I walked little by little each day. This lifted my spirits & I felt better physically, emotionally and spiritually. I believe exercise and fresh air is CRUCIAL to a healthy & happy Loree and for you too :) Getting my blood pumping & releasing those endorphins is what I needed. Anyway, when the Dr. said I could start swimming at 2 weeks post opp. I swam pretty much everyday. It was low impact and I loved it!!!
I mustered up the courage and took it to the next level for me. GOAL #2... Conquer a Fear!!! I joined the Mesa Masters Aquatics Club to celebrate 6 weeks of recovery. ( I know faithful followers this is NOT new news...but I have a point and am getting there...keep reading ;) Joining the Masters Swim Team has been such a great experience for me. I feel so blessed meeting amazing women and making new friends. They are inspiring and challenge me. The same week I joined masters, I heard of an all women Triathlon that would be held in Tempe in May. I knew that this event would be just the "MEDICINE" I needed for my recovery. I signed up for the tri the same day I joined Team Narwhal and GOAL #3 was underway... She Rox Tri here I come!! I was training and striving for this goal everyday. I was nervous & worried that I wouldn't be physically ready for it since I would only have 6 weeks to train for the run and get back on my bike. Thankfully I have been blessed with my awesome hubby & great encouraging friends who believed in me and helped me to find my confidence. I courageously challenged myself 10 days ago with my first open water swim at Saguaro Lake in preparation for the Big Race Day...SHE ROX....It was quickly approaching. I felt ready and excited to conquer Goal #3.
Then last Monday, May 3rd...tragedy struck our family. My beloved and AMAZING Aunt June Gordon passed away. This strong lady battled diabetes for many many years. She had a heart attack and needed heart surgery. It would be a very risky surgery. She would only have 50/50 chance. Through a miracle she survived the surgery but her body was too weak to recover. She died peacefully last monday afternoon. It was such a sad blow for our entire family. We ALL LOVED Aunt June! How could this be??? She can't be gone! Not yet!!! It is too soon. She is so young! Only 54 years old. Her family needs her. We need her. Many prayers were given in behalf of her husband and her children and grandkids. Prayers of comfort, understanding and peace were needed.
Death is so hard. The only thing that really gives comfort is knowing she is in a better place. She is Free from her sick body. She is reuniting with loved ones who have already past. We know that families can be together forever and we know the plan of salvation which is we will live again. This is not the end. This earth life is just a small part of our journey. I know she is looking down from heaven and rejoicing and wants us to dry our tears and live our life the best we can so we can be reunited again. This knowledge gives me hope and joy even during this sad time. We will for sure miss her everyday! But we can be happy and the Lord's comforting arms can help heal our broken hearts and comfort us.
After surgery my 1st GOAL was to obey all the Dr's orders, stay positive and get moving as soon as possible. I walked little by little each day. This lifted my spirits & I felt better physically, emotionally and spiritually. I believe exercise and fresh air is CRUCIAL to a healthy & happy Loree and for you too :) Getting my blood pumping & releasing those endorphins is what I needed. Anyway, when the Dr. said I could start swimming at 2 weeks post opp. I swam pretty much everyday. It was low impact and I loved it!!!
I mustered up the courage and took it to the next level for me. GOAL #2... Conquer a Fear!!! I joined the Mesa Masters Aquatics Club to celebrate 6 weeks of recovery. ( I know faithful followers this is NOT new news...but I have a point and am getting there...keep reading ;) Joining the Masters Swim Team has been such a great experience for me. I feel so blessed meeting amazing women and making new friends. They are inspiring and challenge me. The same week I joined masters, I heard of an all women Triathlon that would be held in Tempe in May. I knew that this event would be just the "MEDICINE" I needed for my recovery. I signed up for the tri the same day I joined Team Narwhal and GOAL #3 was underway... She Rox Tri here I come!! I was training and striving for this goal everyday. I was nervous & worried that I wouldn't be physically ready for it since I would only have 6 weeks to train for the run and get back on my bike. Thankfully I have been blessed with my awesome hubby & great encouraging friends who believed in me and helped me to find my confidence. I courageously challenged myself 10 days ago with my first open water swim at Saguaro Lake in preparation for the Big Race Day...SHE ROX....It was quickly approaching. I felt ready and excited to conquer Goal #3.
Then last Monday, May 3rd...tragedy struck our family. My beloved and AMAZING Aunt June Gordon passed away. This strong lady battled diabetes for many many years. She had a heart attack and needed heart surgery. It would be a very risky surgery. She would only have 50/50 chance. Through a miracle she survived the surgery but her body was too weak to recover. She died peacefully last monday afternoon. It was such a sad blow for our entire family. We ALL LOVED Aunt June! How could this be??? She can't be gone! Not yet!!! It is too soon. She is so young! Only 54 years old. Her family needs her. We need her. Many prayers were given in behalf of her husband and her children and grandkids. Prayers of comfort, understanding and peace were needed.
Death is so hard. The only thing that really gives comfort is knowing she is in a better place. She is Free from her sick body. She is reuniting with loved ones who have already past. We know that families can be together forever and we know the plan of salvation which is we will live again. This is not the end. This earth life is just a small part of our journey. I know she is looking down from heaven and rejoicing and wants us to dry our tears and live our life the best we can so we can be reunited again. This knowledge gives me hope and joy even during this sad time. We will for sure miss her everyday! But we can be happy and the Lord's comforting arms can help heal our broken hearts and comfort us.
My cousin's set up a Facebook page in honor of their mother. Here family & friends could post memories and thoughts about this sweet sweet lady. This is what I wrote about my Aunt June...
When I think of Aunt June, I think of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!!! She served and served and served. I love her example of service and love that she so willingly gave over and over again. You could always count on her. She has a special place in my heart and Leonard's too....she was the key to our meeting...Leonard and I...after meeting Leonard at Nathan's Missionary Farewell, I was asked to go on a first date with his handsome stranger.
Aunt June calmed my parents nerves by giving Leonard 2 thumbs up and encouraging me to date him... it was the BEST decision of my life. Thank you Tom and June for Loving my husband as a missionary before I met him and fell deeply in love with him. I am forever grateful for the eternal piece to my puzzle in life you helped me to find. We LOVE YOU and WILL MISS YOU!!!!!!
Aunt June calmed my parents nerves by giving Leonard 2 thumbs up and encouraging me to date him... it was the BEST decision of my life. Thank you Tom and June for Loving my husband as a missionary before I met him and fell deeply in love with him. I am forever grateful for the eternal piece to my puzzle in life you helped me to find. We LOVE YOU and WILL MISS YOU!!!!!!
These are Leonard's remarks:
I will never forget my first day as a greeny missionary in Mesa AZ. After being out all day in the big city...(I am from a ranch in Montana,) my companion brought me to the "best ward missionaries" home...the Gordons. They had it all set up...we opened the door and the entire family water ballooned me...except Aunt June. She just got a really good laugh and I felt like being a missionary was not going to be to rough. After that she was my mission mom for months...she brought us treats, made us dinner, took us to lunch, took care of me when I was sick and just loved us. She is an amazing person and made a great difference in my life. As Loree said, if it wasn't for you Tom and June, we would never had met...thank you so much. I love and miss you Aunt June!
I was so concerned about the feelings my family would feel when they would find out I would be racing on Saturday. I did not want to seem insensitive or selfish. I cried and cried. I wanted to do what was right. My heart was pulling me in 2 directions. I needed the Lord's help. This weight felt so heavy. I called my good friend and my sister and we talked about my dilemma for a long time. As we talked, I began to find peace. The Lord knows the desires of my heart and will help me to do the right thing. I would drop everything to be to her funeral, but there may be a way I could do both. I wanted to race in honor of her memory. I called the race director of Red Rock Co., Mike Melley, and he was kind enough to let me start in an earlier wave. My sister offered to let me shower and get ready at her house after the race. Her home was close to the church were the services would be held. I looked back to my past Triathlon result times and crunched the #'s and really believed I could do this in under 2 hours which would give me just enough time to make it to the funeral by 10 am. My parents offered to watch my kiddos and it all started to fall into place. I felt good about my decision to race and I had faith I would be able to complete it and be there for my family too. I thanked the Lord for his goodness and kindness. I told him if I needed to forfeit my race I would, just let me know.
The butterflies were making their home in my tummy and the nerves were bottling up. I tried to remain calm and feel excited. I tried to push the sadness to the side for just a bit. I am doing this for you Aunt June! I Love you and I will miss you!!!
I did it...She ROX all women Triathlon...Saturday May 8th, 2010... My talented husband Leonard put together his awesome video of my GOAL#3 experience. Be sure to scroll down and pause my music player first! All You ladies ROX!!!
Yes, I am a picture collage junkie and have to write more goodness about this AMAZING Experience!
We were up at 4:30am... I feel sick to my stomach again... I hope and pray I can do this and do this FAST!!! The pressure is on! Checking in.... It is official!!!
Got my She Rox T-Shirt, My # 536, my timing chip... Getting my transition area all ready and meeting up with friends! Let's ROX this ladies :)
Swim Team Friends...Beth, Liz, Judy and My favorite Dr. Hoy's Lady... Laura!!!
Pre-Race Jitters....no better way to help stay calm then to Smile and Breathe!!! My swim coach Laura is the 3rd from the left in royal blue suit. She is Awesome and came in 2nd place in her division. Her first tri in over 11 years and I think she came in 11th place overall!! Isn't she amazing! LOVE HER!
Me and My Sweety! I Love you Leonard! Thanks for believing in me! I couldn't be this NUTS without you! and I wouldn't have it any other way! xoxoxox
Wave 1 - LET's SWIM!!!! So I got to swim with the 25-29 age group. They started 4 minutes before my group. I needed every minute I could get to finish on time :) Thanks again Mike!
On Your Mark, Get Set, GO....... I was so so so so thankful... I did NOT panic at all this swim. I had a prayer in my heart the whole time. I am so glad I got to have a trial run in the lake the weekend before so I could get the panic attack out of the way. PHEW!!!! I started off slow in a good pace and kicked it into high gear toward the finish of the 750 meters...1/2 mile swim....LOVED IT!!!! I felt angels around me the whole race. I swear I could feel aunt june cheering me on from heaven! It was so neat!
I checked the race results saturday night and it had me in 1st place in the swim..... I was thrilled, but then remembered I actually started 4 minutes ahead of my age group. The adjustments have not been made yet. I actually came in 8th place in my age group, but i did SMOKE those young chicks in the 25-29 group! I can't wait for the next race!!!!
Made it to transitions...getting ready to ride.... took me 3 minutes here... something to improve on :) i like it!
ahhhh, My Favorite place to be... on my bike in the early morning :) it was a beautiful morning. In fact, I know the Lord blessed me again this day. It was suppose to be the hottest day yet and while I was racing, the clouds came in the kept me nice and cool! Thank you Heavenly Father! The 13 miles was a good 13. Loved it! I did it in 45 minutes. I could have cranked it harder, but wanted to have enough energy to finish strong. The Run SCARES me :)

Back in transitions to finish her off with a 3 mile run! I was here for about a minute. another goal to shoot for next time :)
Finishing off the last mile over the Mills Bridge. I heard my Lenny shout out my name and I started to get choked up. HOLY COW!!! I am almost done! I did it! Tears started to well up in my eyes and then my windpipe started to constrict.....oh no!!! not now!!! I need to BREATHE!!! Just hold off the tears for a quarter of a mile and then you are free to cry it out! :)
Sprinting to the finish!!!! & getting my medal.... I LOVE those things!!!!!
I did it!!! I feel so happy!! I can not find words... VICTORY!!!!
I made record time for me. I finished at 1 hour 37 minutes and 1 second. Time to spare! Thank you Aunt June for sending your angels to help me. I know I was not alone!
I ROXed it all right! Happy Day! Time to turn the page in the next chapter in my life!
Feeling the love with Friends! I love you all!
This has been such an amazing adventure. Until next year She ROX!!! Thank You for helping me heal and find joy in my journey!
PS... I made it on time to my Aunt June's Funeral and it was such a beautiful service. She is so loved and will be missed terribly. Her legacy of love, charity, service will live on forever in our hearts and minds! May we live our life a little better each day & look to serve those around us so willingly like my Aunt June.
















14 comments:
You are AMAZING!! Congratulations on your accomplishment!
Fantastic! So proud of you and I am inspired to kick it up a notch in my own life. Well done Lady. :)
Loree!!!! I'm such a jerk! I totally called you to bother you about a dumb invitation and didn't even realize until it was too late that you were probably running from your race to the service. What a hard day and I didn't even recognize you for it!
Great job!!!! Sorry I bothered you!
kristina... you are NOT a JERK!!!! don't even worry about it! you are good :) you silly goose ;) love ya couz!
You ROX Loree!! That was an awesome Video!!!. I knew it would work out!! LOve YOu!!
Have to agree with Lenard...Loree Rox! You are such an inspiration to me...keep up the good work! :)
loved the video, you're awesome!
Whoo hoo! I am so proud of you...loved all the pics...what an awesome time!
You are so inspiring..I love how u make goals and accomplish them. You are wonder woman !! I enjoyed all your pictures. Sorry to hear of your loss, we are so lucky to have the knowledge of the gospel to help us through the loss of a loved one. Love u too friend
Wow Loree. What an incredible journey. I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt. I feel totally inspired by you. You ROX! :) Love ya.
Congrats Loree, it makes me want to cry just reading your story because I'm about to do my first marathon (this Saturday) and I know I'll feel the same way at the finish line. I remember doing other races and seeing the finish line, it's an amazing feeling!
You did awesome! You are really an inspiration! Great job girl!
Amazing, Loree! Simply amazing! Way to go on the race, and so glad you made it to the service and it all worked out. Wish we could have been there for it, too.
I am so sad about aunt June. She was like an aunt to us too. She is so special and will be so missed.
And now about the race....
first of all, you r amazing. I would love to do that one day (when i learn how to swim, hehe) looked like you had such a blast.
Second of all...who is that lady in YOUR picture grabbing her rear end???? And why, out of 12 comments on ur post, am i the only one who is mentioning this silliness. Gotta love it:)
xoxo
We are definitely impressed. So glad that you were able to make everything work out. Congratulations!
Post a Comment