Monday, May 17, 2010

Kids Bathroom Makeover

PROJECTS... I LOVE THEM!!!!! It was Due for a Room Makeover at the Zito House.  Every time I get the itch to move, but then sit down with the budget and then realize the time is not right, I get a craving for something to change.... Well, the that time had come again for me. 
It is Kid's Bathroom Makeover on the agenda.
Back in 2004, I painted my little girls bathroom pixie purple and it was fit for 2 little princesses. We all adored this cute girly bathroom. But now that Blake is here and shares this bathroom, I thought it was time to make it more gender neutral.....but of course it HAS to still be CUTE!!! Just not so girly. (PS...this picture was taken back in 2004 when it was fresh and news after 6 years of using and abusing this bathroom it wasn't as pretty any more!)


AND the Towel Bar broke and needed to be replaced and so that's when I started getting nuts about moving over a broken towel bar.... after my crazy fit.... I decided a fresh new paint job and a new shower curtain would be just what was needed. I can't believe it was 6 years ago I did this bathroom...See Change IS NEEDED ;)

So off to work I go. Super cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the walls, taping, taping and more taping.

I tried out a new primer for this project and I LOVED it! it worked like a charm and would recommend it to anyone. Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer..... GOOD STUFF! 


Sea Wave Blue is the color I chose. I LOVE IT!!! It is so bright and happy! I only had to paint one coat of blue on the walls. I was delightfully surprised. That Primer definitely made that possible! 
The only stinky thing about pictures in this bathroom is I don't think it does the color justice. It looks WAY better in person.

I bought the shower curtain at Target and made the curtains. Got the fabric at my FAVORITE store ever... HOBBY LOBBY!!!

To solve the broken towel bar problem, I made this towel hook board and screwed it into the studs on the wall.... it should be solid and going no where! The Board is a old cupboard door that I sanded, primed and painted and then antiqued the edges with a little stain. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is exactly what I was hoping for. I especially love the bright colored towels too. So summer -y! :) I would like to do some vinyl lettering something above this towel hook board....thinking thinking! :)

The Girls have a fancy tiered tray for their lotions & perfumes like their mama... a Girl needs to smell good :) I Love the cute polkadot hand towel and when I spotted the flamingo decor at HL.... I knew it was the perfect addition to this tropical like bathroom! yipee!!!

I loved the hook board so much I was feeling brave to tackle the bathroom cabinets too. So I went to town on  them too. I am very happy with the outcome. It took a LONG LONG time... but so worth it.

I lightly sanded them to take off the sheen. Painted on the bulls eye primer, Bulls Eye. Let it dry then Brushed on 2 or 3 coats of white latex paint. after they were totally dry, I sanded the edges and carefully painted on stain on the sanded edges with a q-tip and then wiped it off let it dry and .... VOILA!!! 

Here is the before and after.... a HUGE improvement wouldn't you say??? I would have to agree. I am so over the pink oak cabinets the original owner of my home chose for this house. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???? I am planning on painting my kitchen cabinets just like this too. But after this 2 day project just for 3 cabinets... I need a little time to get excited about this major huge project..... but it WILL happen for sure! keep posted!

A couple more views of the cuteness!  My kids think this bathroom is AWESOME!!! They have brought all their friends over to show it off. Gotta love them!  :)

Ahhhh, I had to add a goofy silly pic of me doing a VANNA WHITE ;) 
Kids Bathroom Makeover....CHECK! 
What's next????

10 comments:

Julie said...

LOVE IT!!!!

Mrs.EBG said...

Totally digging the color! It's pretty similar to the color of my kids bathroom in our new house! Super fun!

TL said...

SO cute! I love it! Makes me want to redo my bathroom. So stinkin' cute!

Sarah S. said...

You are crack'n me up with your Vana pictures. Love it! I can almost hear your gigle as I looked at them. The bathroom looks great. It is oh so very Loree. You have a serious talent for busting out these projects FAST!

Cherene said...

Looks so great!!

Crissie said...

That is the same exact shower curtain that I've been wanting to buy! So cute! Seeing it made me want to redo my kids bathroom. Even if I had, I'm certain it would have never turned out as cute as yours! I love the cupboards! Good job.

Leah said...

The bathhook holder, and the cabinets are my fave! And I love the colors too..I want to come see it in real life!

melissa said...

Wow! This looks fabulous! Molly looked through all the pics with me and she totally recognized the old bathroom, and then she simply adored the finished makeover. And I agree.

The McNeil Family said...

You Rock.. That bathroom is too cute. I love all the fun colors you used. I only wished I had the time and creative mind like you. I love the towel hook board, I want to make one now.

Hanah Bonilla said...

LOVE your bathroom!! And I'm happy I finally found your blog :-)