Yes, you read that title right. This CRAZY LADY is at it again...Testing my limits and my new wetsuit :) I got to enjoy my first Open Water Swim Race at Saguaro Lake this morning! It was a gorgeous First day of May and what better way to start the day off freezing in a lake and getting some good training in for my She Rox Triathlon ... which is less than a week away! Yipee!!! I chose to swim the shortest distance course today ....1000 meters, which is approximately 3/4 of a mile. It was an adventure for sure and a humbling one at that too!
Before you read the rest of this post you have to check out this AWESOME video my sweet hubby put together for me!!! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of my page and pause my music player first! It's all the race greatness in a cool nutshell of a video :)
I LOVE YOU LENNY!!!! You are the BEST!!!!
Pretty cool hu? Don't you want to come swimming with me??? The next race is May 29th... I may have to sign up and see if I can beat my time.... which I think was pretty slow!
Since I am planning on printing my blog into a book SOMEDAY... I had to put more pics up & give more juicy details :) I am A DETAIL kind of gal :)
I woke up in a panic this morning at 5:30am. I thought my clock said 6:30am, which would have meant we were running late. I wanted to be on the road by 6:45am.... So after I calmed my nerves I got a few more precious moments of rest....as I could no longer sleep. I felt SICK to my stomach! Butterflies floating around my tummy like crazy! Am I NUTS???? I think so. I was feeling major nerves this morning. Once we .... me, hubby & our 3 kids arrived at Saguaro Lake about 7:15am & I got checked in I felt a bit better.
I was scared, nervous and excited too! I kept telling myself, this is fun! this is fun! this is FuN! Type 2 Fun as Leonard likes to call it. Once it is all over and you get your nerves out of the way, you look back and can say...WOW, THAT WAS FUN!!! I had hope that I would feel the same way.
I was looking forward to trying out my new wet suit in a real LAKE!!! ...opposed to a fake lake???! ;) That's was exciting!
It was time for the first wave of swimmers to race. 1000 meters wet suit division started the morning off.
I am waving my final goodbyes before making a splash into the chilly morning water.
BURRR! It was cold but my wet suit was AWESOME & kept my body nice and warm except for my face, hands & feet! I bobbed in the water like a cork. NO SINKING for me today! I was feeling good but my heart was beating a million beats a minute. I took a couple deep breaths and before we know it, the count down begun and we are off and racing. I started off too fast, which didn't seem fast at all, but I soon realized it was because, not long after I started I began to tire quickly. DANG IT! I WASN'T GONNA START FAST!!!
In the hustle and bustle of the start, Someone behind me grabbed my legs as they were trying to get around me and freaked me out a bit. I was fine, but feeling sooooo claustrophobic. My heart was racing and I think I started to hyperventilate a bit. The crowded waters, murky, & cold...my tight suit, & short breaths....YIKES!!! ... I was starting to let it get to me and I had a mini panic attack. I rolled to my back to chill out for a minute so I could regain my composure & breath and gave myself a little pep talk... "Loree, CALM DOWN! You can do this!!!" ....cheezy hu? Sorry but I had to do it. I also said a little prayer to keep me calm and help me through this.
I let the hungry wolves race out in front and out of my reach and settled in to my own space and into the ZONE I went.... I found my "inner tube"... that's for you Coach Laura ;)...a.k.a. my happy place and swam my little heart out. aaahhhh! Now that is better!!!! I was trying to not beat myself up over the mini panic attack I let my self experience... It was humbling! I needed this experience. I think I learned a lot in this 21 minute 6 seconds swim.....yes, that was my time... I know I can beat it next time!
Happy!!!! I made it! ALIVE!!! 6th place out of 8 in my age group. At least I was not LAST!!! :) It definitely gives me a goal to work toward and I can't wait to beat my time! So I got my first Open Water Swim under my belt and I have a feeling I have many more to come!!!
A proud mama with her biggest fans! I sure love my kiddos! They were rooting for their mom! I think I made them proud!
I have had all day thinking about my morning adventures and WOW!! THAT WAS FUN!!! So fun I'm gonna do it again next week but I think I'll add a 13 mile bike ride and a 3 mile run to top off the FUN!!! See you next week SHE ROX!!!!!
PS... to my Sweet Leonard! Thank you so much for your LOVE and SUPPORT! I couldn't do this without you! You are so encouraging and you believe in me! I love you like CRAZY and thanks for being my BEST FRIEND!!!







7 comments:
pretty much you've got the she rox thing down, serious girl you rock! I am not great at swimming and I'm not even sure I could save myself so I think this is awesome! Good job and good luck next week!
Wow! I am so impressed. Way to go. You seriously rock, and that's coming from a girl who swims like a rock. ;) Did you guys all have to tread water while you were waiting for it to start? Or were you standing on something? Even that part looked hard to me. Proud of you.
Fantastic, Loree! You're time would have been better if someone hadn't been rotten and yanked on your legs. What a turd!
I can't wait to see the results next week. Go Loree!!
Awesome girl! You are such and impressive person for always going hard and striving to make your goals!!! I'm proud of you...keep it up!!
Wow, awesome! Just like Jake told you, you are an inspiration! Truly. We are so proud of you. Oh, and when did Kaitlyn get so tall?! Holy cow! Tell that girl to slow down. Love ya.
That looks soooo fun! You did a great job! When we move down in June I'd love to start doing things like this! Good luck next week Loree...You Rock!
So fun! Can't wait to hear how the next one goes!
Post a Comment