Monday, August 25, 2008

Road Biking Rocks!!

I Love my bike! I have had this beauty for a little over 1 year and I look forward to every ride, especially with my favorite person...my sweet Lenny! Leonard has been biking for several years and he would tell me about the distance he would ride and I was amazed and couldn't really grasp why he liked it. It seemed kinda scary to me. What about the cars, the clip-in shoes, being haunched over, sore legs, neck, & back, falling over, flat tires, the HEAT of the desert??? It took me a while to get the guts to try it for myself. Last summer I finally hopped on his bike for a spin and I was hooked! I couldn't wait to get my own.
Here she is my Bright Flashy Bumble Bee... It is a SWEET bike! For those of you that speak bike language, My Tirreno is full aluminum frame with carbon fiber front fork, handle bars, seat post stem, cranks, & chain stay. The benefit of carbon fiber is it is super light and tough. It absorbs the shock of the road and makes for a smooth ride. It weighs a total of 17lbs. (3 pounds lighter that Leonard's Bike...hee hee hee, he is so jealous :)
Essential riding gear: my Matching Helmet (a must :), my nice padded riding gloves (I love the Swirls :) and my Shimano clipless shoes...The cool thing about riding shoes is the solid rigid souls so they don't bend when I peddle. It takes a lot of work off my calf muscles & allows me to push down and pull up.
Carbon Fiber cranks lighten the bike & is the best way to go, ask Leonard! He doesn't have them:) Shimano Ultegra shifting and braking components, only one step down from the best! OH YEAH!!my saddle (or seat) is perfect for me. I love the leopard print and my sweet little butterfly.
I float like a butterfly and Sting like a BEE :)
Every Newbie has bit the dust. After several months of riding, my luck run out! I took my first RETARDED fall while I was stopped at our turn-around spot and I was trying to unclip my foot and started leaning the wrong way. In a very panic stricken way, kinda slow motion you know you are going down, but can't do anything about it way...BAM!!! down I went Left KNEE first. Knee meeting a concrete curb and tons of sharp little gravel. My STUPID fall tore a chunk from my knee and I was MAD!!! What a dumb story to tell... I fell down while I was safely stopped and now I get to wear this ugly purple scar FOREVER! Leonard says I should be proud of my war wound, but I am still mad about it! get over it right? it could be WAY worse. I know I know! Luckily (knock on wood) I haven't hit pavement since, but have had many close calls of tipping over and repeating knee to ground. Leonard has luckily been next to me every time and has saved me! PHEW!!!! Here I am at my first Sprint Tri on Turkey Day last November. It was such an awesome experience for me. I loved it and look forward to my next race! can't you just see the LOVE?!! p.s. I came in 2nd Place in my division! YEE-HAW!Early this morning Leonard and I enjoyed a great 20 mile ride to Lost Dutchman State Park. I really like this route. It is a great workout and the view is beautiful. We feel blessed living so close to the awesome Superstition Mtns. I love putting in the hard work climbing the hills and and the thrill of the wind in my face as I zoom home at over 23+ mphs. Especially knowing I created that speed with my own muscles & with a little help from gravity! SO SWEET! You have to try it! So far I have pedaled over 1200 miles and counting. Please be nice to bikers! THANKS!

3 comments:

TL said...

Brad got a road bike last year but hasn't used it that much (once in St. George). I am excited to try but still haven't. I do however have a fancy mountain bike with the baby stroller that attaches and the kids and I go on a couple small rides a week. Your post makes me want to get on Brad's bike and go for a ride. Maybe this weekend!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you have something you can get excited about. A couple of months before I got pregnant I starting running and plan to train for a marathon after the baby is born I am just excited about getting into something that will keep me healthy. So I am proud of you that is awesome.

The Cole's said...

You're so inspiring! I wish I had enough energy to at least go on a walk at the end of the day. Once my kids are in bed, I hit the books and try to get a little studying in. I bought a heart rate monitor, the running book you suggested and we have a jogging stroller. I really have no excuse! I need to get my butt in gear before it starts snowing!