Sunday, October 12, 2008

Wood's Canyon Lake

The kids had October break this weekend and on Friday our family took a well needed break. We traveled up north to get some fresh air & cool weather. We journeyed up to Wood's Canyon Lake on top of the Mogollon Rim for a picnic and Hike. We definitely enjoyed cool weather, more than us desert rats expected. It was 61 degrees and windy. We were all cold, but loved every minute of it. This is a beautiful place and only a 2 hour drive from our front door. We have to do this more often.
Our Cute & Happy Kiddos
Lenny & Loree
Do you see Blake's New Shoes? We bought them this morning at the good old Wally World. If you remember from my last post a while ago about getting Blake's sandals, he refused to try on any other shoes once he found the sandals he loved. And he has worn these sandals to church and everywhere we go everyday for at least a month. But we had to get him shoes for hiking. He wasn't happy about taking off his sandals but through force we put them on him and a few minutes later he thought they were cool. We also bought him these pants since all the pants he owns are to small. He loved exploring the woods :)
Picnic Time... sandwiches and sun chips YUM!

Kaitlyn sitting in the sun to stay warm.

Loree & Blake loving our picnic!
The girls were more than ready for some hiking. We followed this little trail along the lake. It was so nice.
Blake & Daddy hiking...too cute! I love my boys :)
The Girls!!!
Blake wanted to do everything himself. As he was climbing these steps he said..."I can do it" over and over again. He is finally learning to speak our language...English :) yeah Blake!
On our way back, we took a little rest to skip rocks into the lake. I think this was Blake's favorite part. We played a fun game. Leonard threw in a piece of wood and we all tried to hit it with a rock. it is harder than you think.
Leonard is teaching Kaitlyn how to skip rocks.
Our family had a great time. We look forward to the next day trip. We knew it was time to go when Blake had many meltdowns in a row. He was hiking during nap time and we wore him out.
On our drive back to the valley, we stopped to visit the Tonto Creek Fish Hatchery. I haven't visited since I was a kid. Carly was happily ready to feed the fish.
These are HUGE trout! I couldn't believe how big some were. How fun it would be to catch one of these bad boys while fishing. Maybe one day :)
Kaitlyn feeding the well fed fish too :)
Man they are so BIG!!!
The Fish Hatchery has several tanks of fish of all sizes. Blake loved all the little fish. He would run from tank to tank to check them all out. I was hoping he wouldn't fall in. He didn't :)
Carly and Kaitlyn striking a pose. Our girls are so cute when it comes to taking pictures. They plan out all their poses. I love it and makes me smile. They are their mother's daughters :)
This day was great. We got home and snuggled up on the couch and watched a movie together.
What a great way to end a fun day :)
On Saturday, Leonard planted winter rye in our backyard, fixed our sprinkler system & rebuilt my computer for me. What a wonderful man I married. Me and the Girls went on a Shopping spree at the mall and the girls bought another Webkins with their money. ( thanks to pappy and granny Z) They have saved $ they sent to them and each bought a new pet. They both bought dolphins and were so excited. It was fun. I got some new jeans...yahoo and we also got Kaitlyn's Halloween costume. What a fun weekend. Now it is time for me to get ready for church. YAHOO!

9 comments:

The Cole's said...

ahh... looks like you guys had a fun weekend. It's so fun going to the lake with kids. They're always so excited about everything. We're stuck in Billings, we got 15 inches of snow and the roads are closed. Is it October or December? I think mother nature is confused :) Hopefully we can go home tomarrow!

TL said...

How fun! Brad and I went to California last week to find some warm weather! We met some people from AZ that were looking for a little cooler temps. but it was 94' that day so I don't think they got what they were looking for. Glad you all had fun!

gray-gang said...

Wow, we were almost neighbors this weekend! We went camping there for oct break! We love the woods canyon lake area! You guys will have to go camping with us sometime-maybe when it isnt so cold, that wind was a killer! I love the pictures from your trip...your girls are too cute, I often see a younger Loree in those poses! too funny! :)

Jessica said...

How fun! Your kids are so cute and it looks like they had a blast! Aren't you relieved that the cool weather is on it's way! YIPEE! I'm glad that you guys got away and had a great time.

The McNeil Family said...

looks like you guys had fun! Cooler weather I am so excited.. I love wearing warm sweaters and snuggling up with blankets.

Anonymous said...

I love camping! It looks like you guys had a blast. That is awesome. Your kids are so cute.

Leah said...

I can just feel the cool air....ahhh! Good times!

Blaylock said...

Hooray camping! We went up north that same weekend. Looks like you guys had fun. We did too, but I'm also glad to check that off our list for the year! We are hoping to keep it an "October break tradition" every year to go up north!

Rachel M said...

That does sound like a fun weekend! My kids would love to go hiking, fishing, all that stuff! You've inspired me-maybe next weekend:)